And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.–Romans 8:28
OK. So, I wouldn’t call this an expository on Rom.8:28. Its more something God showed me about His motives and what is “between the lines” of the verse.
I have struggled to understand why God allowed heartache into my family? What lesson was He trying to teach me that I couldn’t learn any other way except for family being damaged? I’ve had other Christians tell me “well, everything happens for a reason” or “well, God has a plan” or the worst one “He let this happen so He could
teach you something and you may never know the reason God had but it’ll be for your good“. And of course they’d all quote Rom.8:28.
What a bunch of nonsense they were telling and I was gullible enough to buy it !!!!! And that’s exactly what God showed me the other day in this order:
1) God loves us so much He gave us the freedom of choice…of decision making.
2) Sin abounds in this world because of that freedom…people can choose to not follow God.
3) As a result people make bad choices/decisions that can have far reaching, damaging effects on others.
4) God doesn’t exactly allow bad things to happen. They happen because of our freedom to choose.
5) God loves us so He wouldn’t engineer the damage/pain/abuse of one of us just to teach another of us a lesson. In fact He wouldn’t engineer our own pain to teach us a lesson.
6)BUT God loves us SO MUCH that when something bad does happen He will not waste the opportunity to teach/grow us.
He doesn’t want our pain to be useless or in vain. He wants to bring something positive/good/useful out of it. I’ve felt so guilty for so long thinking that I wouldn’t learn whatever God was trying to teach me and that’s why this happened in my family. If I just could have figured out the lesson beforehand then this wouldn’t have happened. Why couldn’t I just get the lesson through my head?
Its amazing the lies Satan tells us and he even uses other Christians to tell us this stuff.
So, is God going work this for good? Yes! Because He loves us/me/you. Was this part of His original plan for us/me/you? No!
Well, that’s basically the gist of it. God didn’t engineer the problems in my family. HE didn’t bring that person who created these problems in our family . But since this happened and the situation is what it is. He is using it to teach me/you/us to change, mold, and grow, and He’s doing all that because HE LOVES YOU.
For me this simple realization has done so much for me. It has wiped away my guilt. It has given me peace. It has given me a better understanding of my Creator and the depth of His love for me.
I’m sitting here now with tears in my eyes thinking: Who am I that the God who created the universe would
1) bother to save me so that I could be with Him for eternity
2) then care that I hurt, I’m mean isn’t salvation enough?
3) and love me so much that He wants to bring something positive out of my pain?
Why does He care? Because I was created as an expression of His love, for Him to love, and to love Him in return.
Its that simple…I exist for 3 reasons: because of love, to be loved, and to love.
OK I’m done now…LOL